FULL PRODUCT VERSION :
JDK 10, JDK 9, JDK 8, JDK 7, JDK 6
ADDITIONAL OS VERSION INFORMATION :
MS Windows 10 OS, MS Windows 8.1 OS
A DESCRIPTION OF THE PROBLEM :
Touch keyboard which is specific to MS Windows 10, MS Windows 8.1, MS Windows 8 OSes is not automatically shown, when a user touches Swing or AWT text components with text editing functionality, while other native applications provide automatic showing of the touch keyboard, for example MS Edge, Firefox browsers.
1. Correct behaviour - An example of the touch keyboard shown on a touch of URL editing field (address bar) in MS Edge 40 browser on MS Windows 10 OS is demonstrated on the attached screenshot "TouchKeyboardShownInEdgeOnWin10.jpg".
2. Incorrect behaviour ��� Not showing of the touch keyboard on a touch of "javax.swing.JTextField" component in JDK 9 b149 on MS Windows 10 OS is demonstrated on the attached screenshot "TouchKeyboardNotShownInJDK9b149OnWin10.jpg".
STEPS TO FOLLOW TO REPRODUCE THE PROBLEM :
1. Make sure that Windows 8 or later is installed on the host.
2. Make sure that a display with the touch screen is connected to the host.
If the touch screen is absent, make sure that all keyboards can be disconnected from the host. Please note that a notebook cannot be used for this purpose, because at least one keyboard is connected to it always.
3. Go to "Windows -> Settings -> Devices -> Typing -> Touch keyboard" and turn on the option "Automatically show the touch keyboard in windowed apps when there's no keyboard attached to your device".
4. Compile and run the test case attached as "TouchKeyboardAutoShowTest.java" file.
5. If the display with touch screen is present, touch any Swing or AWT text component shown in the window of the test case, otherwise, disconnect all keyboards from the host and click into any Swing or AWT text component in the test case window. The issue is reproduced, if no touch keyboard is shown.
EXPECTED VERSUS ACTUAL BEHAVIOR :
EXPECTED - When you touch any text input area such as JTextField or JTextArea, a touch keyboard should pop up.
ACTUAL - The touch keyboard doesn't show up as expected.