FULL PRODUCT VERSION :
JDK 10, JDK 9, JDK 8u77
ADDITIONAL OS VERSION INFORMATION :
MS Window 7 OS
A DESCRIPTION OF THE PROBLEM :
Desktop and menu shortcuts of Java Web Start applications are linked to "javaws.exe" binary file from a specific JRE installation, therefore when JRE is upgraded, for example, JRE 8u91 is newly installed and JRE 8u77 is uninstalled, the existing shortcuts become not functioning, since they refer to nonexistent "<JRE_8u77_HOME_DIR>\bin\javaws.exe" file.
STEPS TO FOLLOW TO REPRODUCE THE PROBLEM :
1. Upload JAR, JNLP files of the test case to the same directory on an accessible web server.
2. Edit JNLP file of the test case uploaded to the web server in step #1 by setting the appropriate URL value, which is URL of the directory with JAR, JNLP files of the test case on the web server, to "codebase" attribute of "jnlp" element. Save the changes in the file.
3. Make sure that on the host there are both administrator and simple user accounts.
4. Log in with the administrator account. Uninstall all JREs from the host.
5. Install JRE from any of the release families: 10, 9 or 8 which is not the latest available JRE from the chosen release family, for example JRE 8u77. Log out.
6. Log in with the simple user account, open Internet Explorer (IE) browser and load JNLP file of the test case uploaded to the web server. Agree to create the shortcuts. Verify that the shortcuts "ShortcutIsBrokenAfterJREUpdate.lnk" for the test case were created on desktop and MS Windows "Start Menu". Log out.
7. Log in with the administrator account, install JRE whose update version is greater within the same release family with the JRE installed in the step #5, for example JRE 8u91. During installation agree to uninstall JRE from the step #5, log out.
8. Log in with the simple user account, try to launch "ShortcutIsBrokenAfterJREUpdate" test case using the existing desktop shortcut. The bug is reproduced, if the shortcut does not function and "ShortcutIsBrokenAfterJREUpdate" application cannot be launched.