JDK-7153446 : Redirect browser VM debug log to browser console
The Version table provides details related to the release that this issue/RFE will be addressed.
Unresolved : Release in which this issue/RFE will be addressed. Resolved: Release in which this issue/RFE has been resolved. Fixed : Release in which this issue/RFE has been fixed. The release containing this fix may be available for download as an Early Access Release or a General Availability Release.
Currently debug info from browser JVM goes to shell console window. This is not ver convinient to lookup/use.
We could redirect it to the browser console using window.console.log API if available.
Verified using jdk8-b102
- Be able to see browser JVM plugin trace in the browser console
- Basic tracing framework to use browser logging capabilities
- Browser JVM can have list of PluginLog instances
- One of them does what we used to have - output to console
(PluginLog itself for Mac/Unix, ConsoleLog on windows)
- We also create FirebugLog object per plugin instance.
It will send output to window.console.log provided by Firebug
and most of the modern NPAPI based browsers.
- PluginTrace.java is java view on the log framework.
Currently we only use it to redirect stdout to it
(most of trace log on browser VM side is stdout based).
Change keeps original console shell window. In my experiments i tested log to the browser console works for:
- Safari on Mac
- FF 3.6 + Firebug on Windows
- Chrome 17 on Windows