This is a performance regression from 1.2.2 to 1.3 that we just tracked down to
the actual routine in question. We had noticed longer start up times on Solaris, but attributed that to other factors (HotSpot).
On JDK 1.2.2 on Solaris, the GraphicsDevice.getConfigurations method takes
on the order of 4 milliseconds (0.004 seconds) to run. On Kestrel and
Merlin, it takes over 8 seconds on a 360 Mhz dual-processor Ultra 60 / Elite3D.
The problem occurs on Windows, but is not as noticeable--probably because only
a single GraphicsConfiguration is returned on windows versus 12 on Solaris.
The majority of the time seems to be in creating the X11GraphicsConfig objects.
To reproduce this, run the attached program.
Under window2000, GraphicsDevice.getBestConfiguration()
hangs the machine in some Java3D test.
I put some debug statement and it didn't get into
This can be reproduce under the DirectX version of Java3D
using the test
and when all the library .jar & .dll is install under jre/
If I set PATH or CLASSPATH install of install the library
under jre than this bug can't reliably reproduce.
Also this bug only happen when it run as application using java.
If I use appletviewer or inside Netscape the program will not
No such problem under jdk1.2.2