We need clarification from the Solaris 11/ IPS team about how the following things work in IPS. The answers to the following things are essential to correctly develop and test IPS packages.
1. How do we downgrade?
* Use case/Example: From 6u30 to 6u26 0r 7u4 to 7u2?
2. How do we un-install JDK 6?
* Use case: What if I am an administrator who just does not want Java on my system. Can't I do that without un-installing half of the operating system? Is there something like "--ignore_dependency" option?
3. What if a package is un-installed which has set some specific symlinks. What happens then? What happens to dead symlinks?
* Use case: I install and un-install JDK 7. How can we trigger something that checks for existence of other JREs installed in the system and if yes making that JRE default.
4. Can JDK 6 and JDK 7 co-exsist? Can we install 6 when 7 is already installed in the system?
* Use case/Example:I have seen cases when 22.214.171.124 was installed and it did not allow me to install 126.96.36.199? It said something to the tune of "A newer package is already installed"
* How do we have multiple JDK6 or JDK7 on system? How can I have 6u30 AND 6u31?
5. Why does IPS block 7 packages when the incorporation name is different?
* Use case/Example: When I try and install runtime/java/###@###.### IPS says blocked by ub_javavm incorporation. however, the incorporation names are different and so is the publisher name although the package names are same.So, does that mean we cannot have consistency among package names for JDK 6 and JDK 7.
6. Do we have to follow the SVR4 way of determining default java by looking at /var/sadm/system/admin/default_java. If yes, how? Knowing that IPS does not have postinstall scripting support.