FULL PRODUCT VERSION :
ADDITIONAL OS VERSION INFORMATION :
Windows XP SP3, x86
Windows 7 x86
A DESCRIPTION OF THE PROBLEM :
When deploying silently and java.exe is in use, the installation fails.
Scenario that works: Internet Explorer running and using java.exe, double clicking file to install will prompt the user to close Internet Explorer
Scenario that is failing: With an older version of Java 6 installed, and Internet Explorer and java.exe in use, using a command-line installation with the silent switch (/s) causes major installation issues.
The install runs and does not prompt or kill the process while installing. The previous version of java is removed from the file system and registry. The installer then places the latest files on the file system. The registry (all registry keys) are not installed. This causes java to be in a broken state with no registry keys to call.
REGRESSION. Last worked in version 6u24
STEPS TO FOLLOW TO REPRODUCE THE PROBLEM :
Install any version of Java 6 (update 13 and higher normally on a system.
2. Verify the installation worked by calling a program that requires java
3. From a command line, deploy the latest version of java silently with valid command line switches (jre-6u13-windows-i586-p.exe /s)
4. Installer finishes
5. Navigate to file system folder with java files and find newest versions of files
6. Navigate through the registry and notice the uninstall key for java does not exist nor any normal java registry keys
EXPECTED VERSUS ACTUAL BEHAVIOR :
With Java and Internet Explorer in use:
1) Deploying silently will fully install the program and all registry keys
2) If files are in use, write the updated file to memory and wait for reboot. Installer finishes and fully installs product.
Java is in a state that cannot be used.
ERROR MESSAGES/STACK TRACES THAT OCCUR :
Windows Event Viewer: Application
Description: Product: Java(TM) 6 Update 24 -- Error 25099. Unzipping core files failed.
This bug can be reproduced always.
CUSTOMER SUBMITTED WORKAROUND :
We have not found a work around for this issue.