It happens that downloading an applet does not finish and browser can not be controlled.
After 10 minutes or so, the browser recovers.
When we try to display the HTML which uses an applet in IE, downloading the applet
never finishes and the browser can not be controlled.
After the time of no-response-time-out in proxy server(10 minutes or so) has passed,
the browser recovers.
According to our investigation for communication data in packet-capturing, our issue
(1) Using JRE 1.4.2_05 or subsequent versions ( we confirmed this occurs in 1.4.2_08
and 5.0fcs also )
In JRE1.4.2_04 or previous versions, this issue does not occur.
(2) Web site communicates in HTTPS(SSL). When web site uses HTTP(non-SSL),
this issue does not occur.
(3) There is a proxy server on communication path between web server and client
and the proxy passes the incorrect sequence data from JRE to web server
We confirmed this issue occurs in the following proxy servers.
We will show the message sequence on applet initialization in fig.1 in the attached
On applet initialization, JRE tries to download the applet.
JRE sends the request in HTTPS protocol to connect to the web server(IIS) in order to
download the applet.( 1) in fig.1). This environment needs proxy certificate. Then the proxy
serve returns the request for certificate to the client.( 2) in fig.1)
Usually, the protocol sequence should be as 6) - 8) in fig1.
However, in our environment,
i) JRE sends incorrect HTTP data(non-SSL) to the proxy ( 3) in fig.1)
ii) The proxy sends that to the web server.
iii) The web server considers incorrect sequence data and discards.
iv) The proxy server never sends any response to the client(JRE)
because the web server does not replies.
v) The client stays silent and un-controllable between the above iii) and iv).
vi) After no-response time occurs at the web server, time-out message is sent to
the client thru the proxy.
vii) After vi), the client can download the applet.
More information to construct environment.
When we connect to IIS(using SSL) through a proxy server and try to
download an applet, downloading consumes too much time.
The following shows how to reproduce the issue.
2. To Construct Reproducing Environment
2.1 Setting IIS(SSL)
We should do "Creating site" and "Setting SSL".As to other setting,
we use the default value.
2.1.1 Creating site
(1) Invoke IIS manager and then create a new Web server.
(2) Deploy the following 3 file in local path of the new Web server
2.1.2 Setting SSL
(1) Request for server certificate and install the created certificate to IIS
(2) Set the SSL port to "443"
2.2 Setting Delegation
Launch the following command to start service
>dg8_11_2 -P8080 SERVER=http AUTH=proxy:pauth AUTH=origin:auth AUTHORIZER=XXX PERMIT=http:*:+=users TIMEOUT=io:30
(XXX : Server Name)
3. How to reproduce
(1) Open the Setting proxy server in Internet Explore and set the port number to
8080 which is set on delegation setting
(2) Open err.html at IIS(SSL) server through IE
( ex. : https://XXX/err.html )
(3) How to check whether the problem occurs or not is
The IE browser stays white after delegation and the next screen for authentication
never shows up.
This status show our issue occurs.
When we launched the command for delegation, the attached file(MSG-on-DOS-prompt.txt)
###@###.### 2005-04-18 10:13:32 GMT
NOTE: This problem occurs for all conection methods not just when using a proxy server.