This is a regression in 1.3.1_08. To reproduce the problem:
1. Change Display Setting to 256 Colors on Windows PC.
2. Start the SwingSet2 demo with 1.3.1_08.
3. Bring up the Task Manager, and show GDI Objects as a column on the Processes tab.
4. Start moving the SwingSet2 window around the screen and watch GDI object increase dramatically. Eventually, the level gets so high that the application needs to be restarted since all other applications being to repaint very slowly.
- Testing has only been conducted with Windows 2000 so far.
- The problem does not occur in 32-bit color mode with 1.3.1_08.
- The problem does not occur in any color mode with 1.3.1_07 or 1.4.1_03.
- Disabling hardware acceleration does not prevent the problem.
- Brief profiling of the application using OptimizeIt does not show any leaks of Java objects.