the javadoc tool should use the breakiterator by default for finding the
This change has been promised for 1.5 in the most commonly appearing
diagnostic from javadoc since 1.4.0.
The proposal is:
- Follow through with our promise of making BreakIterator the default.
- Do not provide any option for using the ad-hoc algorithm.
- Continue to allow the -breakiterator option, though it no longer has any
- Document RFE 4921374 (assuming it's approved) as the suggested fix
where this change causes problems.
- Fix all resulting problems in our own J2SE source base.
We could have proposed a new -nobreakiterator option. But there has
been no feedback suggesting that this is needed, even though we've
been warning since Merlin that BreakIterator would become the rule.
We could have proposed that we not follow through on making BreakIterator
the default, and either drop or update the warning message. That could
cause some confusion for people who have been anticipating this change
for some time now, and would require us to continue supporting the poor
ad-hoc for some time to come.
Closing as "will not fix". The solution to this problem is being addressed
in an alternate manner by the following related bugs:
4959985: Javadoc BreakIterator warning is no longer current.
4921374: Add tag to explicitly mark the end of the summary
4959973: please warn when I don't use @summary